Saturday, July 31, 2010

Friday July 30, 2010 - Camarillo/Santa Barbara, California

Another day of looking over various rental properties. The 4-bedroom that I went to see was actually very, very nice. As nice condition as the Carpinteria property, but probably at least 3-4 miles closer to the church. Close to Costco and shopping. The neighborhood isn't quite as nicely kept up as the one in downtown Santa Barbara, but it's not a dive, either. The owner is remodeling both of the bathrooms (two full baths, as opposed to 1.5 baths at the central SB property), and they're open to us doing some gardening in the backyard. I proposed a lower rent to the owner, so we'll see if they're willing to negotiate or not to get a longer-term rental family in the place instead of college students that change every year.

The afternoon I spent in my new office at the church, going through the detritus left behind by the previous pastor. Lots of stuff to be thrown out or donated. Some things to be traded in at the used book store for credit towards something more useful for me. It's a strange feeling to be going through someone else's office and making it your own. It's a nice office though, and I feel a little guilty about having such a nice space. My capacity for guilt never ceases to amaze me.

I discovered that the former administrative assistant - who has been on maternity leave for several months - has decided not to return to work, and they're in the process of hiring a replacement. I was able to sit in on the interview with the only candidate they've solicited thus far. So many changes for a small church in a short time. There's an air of anticipation that's exciting. Were I wiser, perhaps it would be intimidating. As it is, I just look forward to getting started and seeing what God will do in spite of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment