Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Friday June 18, 2010 - Camarillo, California



I had flown down in advance of the weekend as I wasn't sure what sorts of meetings or when this congregation might wish to have with me. Turns out that nothing is scheduled until Saturday, allowing me a day to run errands and take care of miscellaneous necessities.

After a delicious home-cooked pancake breakfast with Lewis, I headed out. Hair cut. Purchase a new belt & a pair of socks. Get the car washed off. Lunch with Jake. Slipping in a few minutes of work at the local coffee shop.

I was back to Lewis' by 4pm, and we left at 4:30pm to pick up Ken, another former parishioner, en route to a gathering of former friends and congregants at Jim & Dianne's house.

By the end of the evening there were 30+ people gathered at their home, a dozen or so vehicles in their long gated driveway. Lots of hugs and smiles as people reconnected and caught up with me, but moreso with one another. I think it was the first time that a large contingent of my former members had gotten together for several months. Some of them are now members at the other LCMS congregation in town. Others are experimenting with other worship venues. Others are still struggling to find a place where they feel comfortable.

We gorged ourselves on grilled chicken, smoked salmon, potato salad and cookies and all other manner of delicacies. Wine flowed and a good time was had by all. There are many hopes and dreams about what the future may hold for me and my family. It will be interesting to see what God has in mind...and I trust I'll have a better grasp on that by the time the weekend is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment