Friday, August 6, 2010

Sunday August 1, 2010 - Camarillo/Santa Barbara, California

I'm here for the duration, but it seems somehow inappropriate to be showing up to my new congregation and just hanging out in worship on Sunday mornings. The congregation has been blessed to have several retired pastors in the area who have been leading worship on a rotating basis, and I prefer to stay out of their hair and not cause a fuss. Since I won't be installed until *after* worship on 8/15, that means I have three Sundays to figure out where to worship.

This Sunday I attended Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Goleta. Good Shepherd was a church plant from Emanuel many years ago. I get the impression that in some ways the two have grown apart over the years. I know the pastor since he attended the same circuit meetings that I did while I was pastoring in Camarillo (A circuit is a regional grouping of congregations. Most circuits meet monthly so that the pastors are in communication with one another). One of the many blessings in this Call is getting to work with people that I've known for a while. It makes adjusting a lot easier.

I attended their contemporary service, and enjoyed it. They have a praise band off to one side in the sanctuary. People of all ages really seemed to be enjoying the service. Afterwards, I viewed another house - this one only a couple of blocks behind the church. They're asking more in rent than we would like to be paying, but it's very convenient! Decisions, decisions.


No comments:

Post a Comment