Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tuesday August 10, 2010 - Camarillo/Santa Barbara, California

The movers came today. Three guys and a truck. Lewis and Jim and I had loaded up our lawn furniture and washer/dryer from Jake & Erin's last night, and left it all tied down in a flat-bed attached to Jim's pickup. So we ran by to pick that up this morning and then headed to Oxnard and the storage unit.

The guys doing the loading were very nice and professional. Pretty quick, too. We were basically loaded up by 9am - only 90 minutes to load the truck up. We were all at the house by 9:30am, and effectively done unloading around 11:45am. No major damage in this move, which is nice, considering how quickly and somewhat haphazardly we loaded up the storage unit in February due to rainy weather. Our furniture as a whole has started to show some wear and tear after multiple moves in the last six years. We remind ourselves that these are only things, and take a deep breath and give thanks for all we have, and the fact that it's in such good condition overall.

As I had suspected, with our large bookshelves in the main living room, there isn't going to be much room for a couch. We've talked about getting an all-weather, outdoor couch thingy, and turning the patio into an extension of the living room. With the beautiful weather here, it's pretty feasible. We can add one of those big heat lantern thingies for cooler mornings and evenings, as well as a little patio fireplace. So many possibilities - we'll have to see what our budget can handle! Hopefully, there's no rush on any of this.

I went up to the office afterwards. Knowing that the place is fairly deserted after the secretary leaves at noon, I felt comfortable going up in a pretty grubby state. Of course, I run into the Circuit Counselor working on wrapping up the Sunday worship planning. He's a laid back guy though, so it wasn't too awful.

When I had arrived here at the end of July, I had let him know that I was willing to fill in if there was a pastor out of the area or on vacation or sick or anything. Nothing was needed the first two weekends, but he mentioned that he had a need for a supply pastor in Ventura this coming Sunday. Naturally, I agreed. After all, my installation isn't until 3pm. Piece o' cake.

That was before I realized that it was two services. That should be an interesting situation! Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze a nap in between the last service and my installation. Probably not, but it's a nice thought all the same. It's good to be helping out - the interim pastor at this congregation that I'll be filling in at (Grace Lutheran, Ventura) is struggling with cancer and will be wrapping up his work at the end of the month. On the plus side, all I really have to do is preach - they have a very well trained and equipped group of elders, one of whom will be leading the liturgy. That should make my work that much easier.

Guess I should get back into the swing of writing sermons again!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the move, and blessings on the installation! Be sure to have someone take some photos. At least you get this chance to crank out a practice sermon before your first one at your new church, right? What will your first sermon at the new church be? Perfectly distinguished Law and Gospel, I trust! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's a first time for everything, but I'm not holding my breath ;-)

    Rather uncharacteristically, I'm thinking of spending the remaining Time of the Church Year laying some ground work in terms of who and what a congregation is and who and what we need to be about. We'll see how that goes and how long I want to keep it up. Guess it depends on how it's received!

    Yes, I hope someone will be taking pictures. As long as they aren't of me!

    ReplyDelete