Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sunday August 15, 2010 - Last Entry

Today is a busy day. Guest preaching in Ventura. Wonderful people in the midst of major transitions, and I pray that they will be able to weather the changes gracefully together, despite what must be some pretty major differences of opinion on the best routes forward.

Then it was up to the house to see the family for a little bit and put together a lunch. Then up to Santa Barbara to prepare for my installation. Then the installation. Then the dinner afterwards. Then crashing at home again.

The installation went very well - or at least I assume it did from what little I remember of it. It was certainly a packed house, perhaps as many as 300 people in attendance. That's a lot of people. People are excited for what the future holds for Emanuel. It's a tad daunting, but I look forward to jumping into it.

Perhaps a dozen clergy were in attendance, including our District President who preached for the installation. People always love to see the clergy process in, dressed in the traditional white albs and red stoles representing the Holy Spirit's fiery presence. It's definitely impressive, and I'm sure it would be fun to observe it from the outside sometime.

Afterwards there was a dinner catered by the senior center next door to our church. Tri-tip steak, chicken & mushroom, potatos, salad, dinner rolls, and a variety of desserts. I didn't really get to eat anything at the time - too busy making the rounds and saying hello to everyone. I'm awful at it, but I think it's important to try and mix and mingle at least briefly.

I'll try to post a few pictures when I get my hands on them.

But, ultimately, today signified the official end of our wanderings. We now have a place to live. I now have a vocation to fulfill. Our nomadic life of the last five and a half months has come to an end. And with that end, so ends this blog. I thought I'd have a lot to say at this point. Many things to reflect on and share Deep Insights on. You may have to check my other blog to see if that's the case, since I want folks to know they can stop checking in on this one. I'll hope to have a few pictures up here - of the house and the installation and the church - but other than that, it suddenly feels as though trying to say a whole lot is anti-climactic.

We're so grateful for the opportunity we had to travel around this beautiful country and see friends old and new and family near and far. Grateful to have been able to experience slices of life where many of you live. So that when we exchange e-mails or cards or phone calls, we can picture where you are as you talk or write. We feel as though we know a little more about you for having shared a little bit in where you live. Thank you for opening your homes and hearts to us and making us feel welcome in the midst of our displacement. Thank you to those who helped to make this journey possible with your prayers and gifts. Thanks most of all to God, who kept us safe, bound us more tightly together as a family, and planted us back in the sandy soil of Southern California.

It's time to begin a new chapter, which means as delightful as the last chapter has been, it's time to bid it adieu.

Adieu.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Amazing adventure! Wonderful ending! Exciting beginning!

    ReplyDelete